If you’re anything like me, when it comes to working out, you stick with what you know. Unfortunately, It’s pretty boring to do the same workout everyday- eventually your brain is going to plead: ‘enough is enough!’ Not to worry, I am here to provide you with a few ideas to give your workout routine a boost.
1. Vary days of the week. It’s boring to do the same workout everyday- eventually your brain is going to plead: ‘enough is enough!’ Mixing up workouts during the week provides your body with new challenges, and will give you opportunities to gain strength in more than one area of fitness. Diversify days of the week with different genres of cardio, or find new exercises to assemble a different weight lifting routine to alternate with your usual one.
2. Take a class. Classes are fun because they provide the opportunity to participate in an area that isn’t of your own expertise, or can get you connected with a community of similar interests. Join a yoga or pilates class, to work on flexibility, core strength, and balance; or, take a kickboxing, zumba, or spin class to challenge your heart rate.
3. Add weight bearing activity. Weight bearing activity actually makes your bones stronger; and, is fantastic for preventing osteoporosis, or brittle bones later in life. If you aren’t quite ready or interested in big lifting, add ankle weights or small dumbbells to exercises you normally do, such as walking lunges or squats.
4. Create Mini-circuits. Instead of doing one exercise until you’ve exhausted it and moving to the next, choose all of the exercises you want to do before you start, and create a circuit. You can move from station to station, rest in between, and then repeat the circuit a few times. It’s the same amount of work, just a more exciting way to get it done.
5. Cardio Boost. Instead of resting in between sets, hop on your favorite cardio machine for a few minutes to get your heart rate moving.
6. Get outside! Especially during these beautiful summer months, it just feels good to have the warmth of the sun on your back, fresh air in your lungs, and new sights to see. Take your bike for a spin around town, or find a challenging trail to hike.
I am hopeful these suggestions will help you add a little spice to your usual workout routine!
Let’s get active,
PK Fitness Challenge Coordinator